The Holy See's work in publishing is tied to the founding of the Vatican Printing House on April 27th, 1587 under Pope Sixtus V. The creation of the L.E.V. was part of an effort to modernize the structure of the Vatican during the Pontificate of Pius XI. In 1926, the sales office was separated from the printing house to form a new and autonomous body in charge of selling books printed by the Holy See. The Libreria eventually became the Libreria Editrice and today the L.E.V. is recognized as the official publishing house of the Holy See.